Preschool – 6th Grade
1/13/20 – 1/19/20
Will Everything REALLY Work Out?
Helen Keller once said, “Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadows.” This is certainly a nice thought, isn’t it. Think about those warm spring and summer days and the feeling of peace you have as you soak in those warm rays of sunshine. But what are we supposed to day in the fall and winter as the sun seems to hide, there’s no warmth, and maybe it seems like there are just shadows? Sometimes it may be difficult, but at times like that we must remember the warm days and have confidence that the sun can, and always will return!
Our life on earth can have similar feelings. It is easy to feel God’s love when all is going well. But we don’t have to look far to see shadows – or maybe we feel like we’re in the shadows now.
At times like this, it is so important to recognize all of the grace and mercy God has shown you in your life and realize there have been good times. But moving forward, how can we be sure things will get better? We can’t live in the past, can we? We must live in the present. But, ah! We can also look to the future with a sure hope. No matter what level of sun or clouds are in your life now, you can be 100% certain that the sun of God’s grace will shine on you in the future! We are assured of that very fact with words from the Apostle Paul when he says: The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen. ~ 2 Timothy 4:18
So soak in the sunshine outside when it’s there, but even when it’s cloudy you can have a sure hope that God’s SON is always shining on you!
Bread for Beggars
This week, take some time to review last week’s Christ Light lessons about the bronze snake and Balaam. These lessons help us further understand why discipline occurs and is so necessary, but more importantly how a merciful God so often gives us a time of grace – a time to repent and serve him in love.
Early Dismissal – Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2020
Please remember that TUESDAY (TOMORROW) is an early dismissal day. The teachers have their monthly joint Faculty In-Service. These Faculty In-Service days are a key component in the ongoing development and improvement of the curriculum at Illinois Lutheran. We meet during the day because many of our teachers coach sports and activities after school.
- Elementary School dismiss at 11:15 AM
- Preschool, Junior High & High School dismiss at 11:30 AM
ILS Grade School Night – Friday, Jan. 17, 2020
All IL Lutheran students Pre-school through 6th Grade are invited to be special guests at the ILHS basketball games on Friday, January 17 at the high school (1610 Main St, Crete, IL). JV Boys game starts at 4:30 PM, and the Varsity girls game at 5:30 PM, followed by the Varsity boys game.
- Special half-time shootout sponsored by Smokey Jo’s
- See the Charger Pep Band
- Take a picture with the team
- Receive a special treat bag
Call for Executive Director
Great News! Mr. Duane Vance accepted the Call to serve as the Executive Director of Illinois Lutheran Schools. Mr. Vance currently serves as the Principal at Jerusalem Lutheran School in Morton Grove, IL. Please keep Mr. Vance, his family and Jerusalem Lutheran School in your prayers.
No School – Monday, Jan. 20, 2020
Campuses will be closed and students will have no school on Monday, January 20, in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Scholastic Book Fair
Elephants, tigers and books, OH MY! The Scholastic Book Fair is fast approaching. It is scheduled for February 3-7, 2020. The theme is Jungle and it’s sure to be a fun, wilderness adventure full of exciting activities and books.
Are you available to help Mrs. Sievert with the book fair? She is in need of help with setting up, decorating, wish lists, cashier and take down. If you can help, please email her as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org. THANK YOU!
Also, mark your calendars for Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020 when ILES will hosts Family Literacy Night.
Second Quarter reports cards were sent home last Monday. If for some reason you did not see your child’s report card yet, please ask him or her if they have it. If they do not, contact your child’s teacher and a new copy will be provided. Also, feel free to contact the teacher anytime with questions or concerns you may have about your child’s progress.
Girls’ B-Team Basketball Player/Parent Meeting
The Girls’ B-Team Basketball Meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 15 at 3:30 PM at IL Lutheran High School (1610 Main St, Crete, IL). Those interested in playing are required to attend the scheduled meeting. If you are unable to attend, please contact Mr. Hinz at email@example.com. Thank you!
Baseball Coach Needed
Illinois Lutheran Schools is looking for a qualified coach to help out with the high school baseball program. All applicants can submit their resumes to Mr. Nate Hinz. Questions? Contact Mr. Hinz at 708.205.7807 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emergency Closing Center
Please note that for school closings due to bad weather, you will be contacted with the information that is on file. Please be sure the information is up to date. You can click on the image above to check the Emergency Closing Center for school closings.
Please let us know if you need any help accessing Powerschool. Whether you need a password reset or a complete setup, we’re here to help. Email Principal Falck at: email@example.com with your powerschool questions or requests.
Charger Spirit Wear for ILES Spirit Week
Limited items from our Spirit Wear line will be available to purchase and take home, in our Grade School Office.
Come in and see what we have available. Get it in time for Friday, Jan 24th, our Spirit Week Charger Day!!
IL LUTHERAN SPIRIT WEEK – Jan. 21 – Jan. 24
Spirit Week is almost here! During the week, we will celebrate our school spirit and encourage our B-Team boys as they get ready for their basketball tournament that weekend. While participation in these activities is optional, we would really encourage our students to become a special part of this week of activities. Special dress up days will include:
- Tuesday, Jan. 21 – Sports Team/ Jersey Day – Students are invited to wear the jersey of their favorite sports team. It doesn’t matter which sport or season wear the colors of your favorite team.
- Wednesday, Jan. 22 – Comfy Day – It’s every student’s dream to be able to just crawl out of bed and come to school. On this day everyone is invited wear their comfy clothes to school.
- Thursday, Jan. 23 – Neon Day – Brighten up your day by wearing NEON colors. Break out your T-shirts that are neon orange, yellow, and green to show your school spirit. Let everyone see your glow for the Chargers.
- Friday, Jan. 24 – Charger Day – Time to wear your Charger gear! You can even dress in our Charger colors, blue and white. Let’s see your Charger spirit.
ILS Pep Rally
We will close our Spirit Week with a Pep Rally on Friday, January 24. The Pep Rally will begin at 2:00. The cheerleaders will do several of their cheers, the players will be introduced, and several other activities are being planned. Everyone is invited to join us for this special activity. Go Chargers!!
URGENT – Volunteers Needed
We are in desperate need of concession volunteers over the next few weeks. Parents who have a child participating in a sport at all levels: grade school, junior high and high school, are required to volunteer.
Your willingness to help out goes a long way in supporting the many activities at Illinois Lutheran. Thank you for your support! Questions? Contact Mr. Nate Hinz.
All parents who have a child participating in a sport at all levels: grade school, junior high and high school, are REQUIRED to volunteer.
- If you have one child participating in basketball or cheerleading, please sign up two times.
- If you have two or more children participating, please sign up one additional time per child (2 children = 3 times; 3 children = 4 times, etc.).
- If your game is cancelled, you will need to find a new time to volunteer.
- If you have to cancel, you will need to find a replacement, as well as notify us as soon as possible at 708-672-3262.
Reminder that all completed forms and payments need to be returned to the school office on Thursdays prior to the week/month you are ordering. Late orders will not be accepted.
Also, CPA is in need of Volunteers to keep the Pizza Day program up and running. We use Signup.com for our Pizza Day event. The link for this Pizza Day event for you to volunteer to serve pizza is below.
If you are not available to serve pizza but have a parent (grandparent) who is able to serve, they can also use the above link to sign up and volunteer. The children love to see the visitors during the day while they are at lunch!
If you have any questions, please email Cindy Gunderson at Cindygunderson@gmail.com.
We are only accepting electronic order forms for hot lunch.
A few easy steps and your lunch orders are complete:
- Click on the links below (also located on the Parent page of the website, under the Hot Lunch & Pizza Day heading).
- Fill out and submit one form per child. You will receive an email confirmation for each order.
- Orders must be submitted by 8:00 PM the Friday before the week or month you are ordering. Same day orders will no longer be accepted. Food is ordered and prepared in advance, so it’s very important that we receive orders on time.
- Single orders are $3.50 and double orders are $4.25.
- Submit your check or cash payment to the office. Please make the check out to ILS and write your child’s name and the month in the memo, or on the cash envelope.
- Payment is due by 8:00 AM the first Monday of the month. If you are ordering weekly, your payment is due by 8:00 AM on Monday. A $5 late fee will be charged for late payments.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building a Foundation for Leadership
Illinois Lutheran Schools will be hosting a workshop titled Building a Foundation for Leadership – Spiritual, Emotional and Physical Health Resiliency at Trinity Lutheran Church on Tuesday, January, 14, 2020 from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. The workshop is being offered to all at no cost!
Our presenter is Mr. Greg Schmill, Director of the Ministry Leadership Institute. He’s very good at what he does and we’re so thankful that he was able to make the time for us. And so we’re encouraging everyone to take advantage of this great opportunity! To register click here.
We hope to see you all there!
Illinois Lutheran Schools App
Have you downloaded the Illinois Lutheran Schools App? This is the best way to receive the most up-to-date information from the school. It’s important that every parent downloads this app!
Check out the key features:
- Keep track of the events that are relevant to you.
- Get personalized notifications reminding you about events and schedules that are important to you.
- Sync events with your calendar with a click of a button.
- Access the Athletic & Activities calendar with one click.
- Enjoy the ease of finding all of the necessary information you need right here in the app!
- Get tailored information from your groups based on your subscriptions.
- Get the latest updates from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Download the App today! Go to the App Store and search Illinois Lutheran Schools, or click on the correct link below.