Preschool – 6th Grade
2/17/20 – 2/23/20
Hannah and Samuel Letting Go
In our ChristLight lessons this week, we meet Hannah. Hannah sets a wonderful example for us in our prayer life and also our response to God’s prayers. Please take a moment to read this devotion from “Today” – an online devotional resource: https://today.reframemedia.
“I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD.” ~ 1 Samuel 1:28
Hannah had prayed desperately for a son and had vowed that if the Lord gave her a son, he would be dedicated to God’s service. Now she fulfilled her promise and entrusted her son to Eli’s care. We can imagine how challenging that day was for her. Letting go can be difficult.
We too experience difficult moments of letting go of the ones we love. We send loved ones off to remote places; we drop children off at camp; we send teenagers off to college. Sometimes we say goodbye to those whom we probably will not see till we meet again in heaven. As we say goodbye, we trust God to be in charge and do what is best. We believe that he will keep those whom we love in his care. We can take heart when we recognize that God is the one who is ultimately in control. We can entrust those whom we love to his compassionate heart, knowing that the Lord loves them even more deeply than we do. We can even pray over them, commissioning them to go with God.
Hannah had joy in her prayer (1 Samuel 2) because she knew God was in charge of her child. She had given him to the Lord, who had blessed her with him in the first place. She trusted that her son’s whole life was in God’s hands. We too can let go when we believe the Lord is holding our loved ones tight.
Lord, help us to trust you to care for those we love. Give us the courage to let go, knowing that you are holding those we love. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
Early Registration for the 2020-2021 School Year
Early Registration materials have been mailed. If you did not receive your materials, please call the office at 708.672.3262. The Early Registration fee for the 2020-2021 school year is $200 per child for grades kindergarten thru 12th grade, if the fee is paid before March 27, 2020. After March 27, the registration fee will be $300 per child. The preschool registration fee is $70 and will not change after the deadline.
Extra Special Early Bird Incentive!
If you register your child(ren) by March 1, 2020, you will be entered into a drawing for a $100 Visa® Gift Card! Five winners will be drawn at random.
A few points to highlight:
- The registration fee is non-refundable, as stated in our Student Handbook.
- The tuition rates for 2020-2021 are printed on the back of your registration invoice included in the mailing, pending Delegate approval.
- You can pay registration online with your credit card. Click here or on the link below, fill out the information and pay with your credit card (this year there is no additional fee for paying online).
Need-Based Financial Assistance:
- Your child(ren) must be registered for the 2020-2021 school year BEFORE applying for financial assistance.
- This year, returning school families applying for financial assistance are REQUIRED to do so BEFORE Friday, May 1, 2020. This is the cutoff date. You will not be considered for financial assistance unless you do so before this date.
- After the May 1, 2020 deadline, appeals from returning school families will only be accepted if something has changed since the time of your original application filing. (i.e. loss of job, income, etc.)
- Preschool children are not eligible for tuition assistance.
- Our Need-Based Financial Assistance application is only available online:
- Click on the link below to apply with FACTS.
- Login to FACTS. Either use your existing account information if you have applied before or create a new account.
- Click on the Apply for Financial Aid link and select the 2020-2021 school year.
- Fill out the required information and supply them with the necessary tax information.
- All forms must be submitted to FACTS before your application will be considered.
- FACTS does charge a fee for applying for financial assistance.
- All FACTS awards are based on need. Be as accurate and complete as possible when providing financial information.
Questions? Contact Jessica Bushey at 708.672.3262 or email@example.com.
CPA Family Movie Night – Saturday, Feb. 22nd
Put on your pajamas and grab your pillows for our CPA Movie Night! We’ll have refreshments- you bring your sleeping bags, pillows or blankets to cozy up to watch Walt Disney’s Homeward Bound on Saturday, February 22nd @ 5pm in the ILES Gym. This is a free event, but you are encouraged to bring any of the following donations for the South Suburban Humane Society:
- Paper Towels
- Hand Sanitizer
- Hand Soap
- 8.5×11 Copy Paper
- Non-Clumping Kitty Litter
- Foil Steam Trays (Litter Pans)
- Canned Pate Cat Food
- Purina Puppy Chow
- Disposable Gloves
- 55 Gal Garbage Bags
- Purina Cat/Kitten Food
- Large Rugs/Blankets
- Gift Cards to Walmart, Costco, OfficeMax, Amazon
SSLAL Spelling Bee
It’s time for the South Suburban Lutheran Activities League Spelling Bee! All contestants should plan to arrive at Zion Lutheran School in Beecher BEFORE 8:30 this coming Saturday, February 22nd. Directions for the event will be given to all of the participants at that time. There will be limited concessions available in the morning. In past years, the event has ended around noon. Good luck, spellers!
Grades 3-4 Sing
On Sunday, Feb. 23, Grades 3 & 4 will sing at Trinity Lutheran Church (1393 Elizabeth St, Crete, IL) for the 8:00 AM service.
Winter Band Concert
On Sunday, February 23, the Illinois Lutheran bands will be presenting their Winter Concert. This event will take place in the high school gym at 2 PM. All of Illinois Lutheran’s instrumental ensembles from Beginner to High School will be featured playing a wide variety of pieces. Please join us for a wonderful afternoon of music!
Versiti Blood Centers will be conducting a blood drive at Illinois Lutheran High School in the high school gym on Wednesday, February 19 from 12:30 PM – 4:30 PM. For more information or to schedule a donation time, click on the link below. Questions? Contact Mrs. Amanda Ventura or call the school office at 708.672.3262.
Kindergarten Round Up
Join us on Tuesday, March 3rd for Kindergarten Round Up. Choose from our afternoon session (1 – 2:30 PM) or our evening session (6 – 7:30 PM). Reserve your spot today! Seating is limited. Contact us at 708-672-5850 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We Need Your Support!
Do you want to share your experience and love for Illinois Lutheran with other families who are seeking a Christian education for their children? As Alumni and family of Illinois Lutheran, we truly value your opinion and would love you to share that with the world. There’s an easy way to do that! Please take a few moments and click on the link below to write a review of Illinois Lutheran Elementary School at Niche.com. Thank you so much for your support!
Emergency Closing Center
Well the white stuff finally made a comeback last week. Regardless of what some groundhog says, we know that winter will be around a while. In the event of a delay or cancellation, we will communicate this by way of our messaging system through the school. If you have been receiving notifications by way of text or email, you should be all set.
Please be sure the information is up to date. You can click on the image above to check the Emergency Closing Center for school closings.
No School 2/28/20 – Teachers’ Conference
There will be no classes on Friday, February 28th. The teachers will be attending the late winter teachers’ conference at Jerusalem Lutheran School in Morton Grove on that day.
FACTS Tuition for 2019 Tax Filing
Do you need a summary of tuition you paid for your 2019 tax filing? You can retrieve and print a summary of payments from FACTS.
- Login to your FACTS account
- Click on Actions, View Details
- Click on the Payments tab
- Click on View Printable Payment Summary
- Select the correct year from the drop down menu before you print your summary
Mrs. Kayla Wilkins decided to continue teaching in Marshfield, WI. We wish her the Lord’s blessings as she continues her service in north central Wisconsin. With that news, our Board will continue to seek another candidate for the open 1st grade position next year. The new list of individuals who could meet our needs will be considered Monday evening, February 17th.
As well, Mr. John Dorn (Mrs. Dorn’s husband) has received a Call to teach 7th and 8th grade and be the principal at Trinity Lutheran School in Belle Plaine, MN. Please keep him in your prayers as he determines where his gifts are best used. He also welcomes your thoughts and opinions on the matter.
Looking for a part-time job in a great working environment? A job that can really make a difference and support our school’s ministry? We are currently seeking an individual who would be interested in joining our maintenance staff. The position starts at $9.25 per hour. Applications can be handed in to either school office.
If you have any questions, please contact the high school office at 708.672.3262.
Ultimate Kids Sale
Looking for an easy way to sell your gently used kids/teens/young adult clothes, toys, shoes, etc., without having to host a garage sale and worry about good weather? The sale is after our Spring Break, perfect time for cleaning out closets! Our ILS Boosters has an opportunity for you! The ILS Ultimate Kids Sale is scheduled for Saturday, March 21st at our Elementary School Gymnasium. The set up will be on Friday, March 20th. Information/ Registration Forms will be available on the school websites, as well as both school offices. We will have a brief meeting with the sellers prior to the sale. Questions, contact Debbie Cantu at email@example.com
Spring Break Coming Soon
There will be no school from Monday, March 9 – Friday, March 13 for Spring Break. Classes will resume on Monday, March 16.
URGENT – Volunteers Needed
We are in desperate need of concession volunteers over the next few weeks. Parents who have a child participating in a sport at all levels: grade school, junior high and high school, are required to volunteer.
Your willingness to help out goes a long way in supporting the many activities at Illinois Lutheran. Thank you for your support! Questions? Contact Mr. Nate Hinz.
All parents who have a child participating in a sport at all levels: grade school, junior high and high school, are REQUIRED to volunteer.
- If you have one child participating in basketball or cheerleading, please sign up two times.
- If you have two or more children participating, please sign up one additional time per child (2 children = 3 times; 3 children = 4 times, etc.).
- If your game is cancelled, you will need to find a new time to volunteer.
- If you have to cancel, you will need to find a replacement, as well as notify us as soon as possible at 708-672-3262.
Reminder that all completed forms and payments need to be returned to the school office on Thursdays prior to the week/month you are ordering. Late orders will not be accepted.
Questions? Contact Cindy Gunderson at Cindygunderson4@gmail.com or call/text 815-351-1043.
We are only accepting electronic order forms for hot lunch.
A few easy steps and your lunch orders are complete:
- Click on the links below (also located on the Parent page of the website, under the Hot Lunch & Pizza Day heading).
- Fill out and submit one form per child. You will receive an email confirmation for each order.
- Orders must be submitted by 8:00 PM the Friday before the week or month you are ordering. Same day orders will no longer be accepted. Food is ordered and prepared in advance, so it’s very important that we receive orders on time.
- Single orders are $3.50 and double orders are $4.25.
- Submit your check or cash payment to the office. Please make the check out to ILS and write your child’s name and the month in the memo, or on the cash envelope.
- Payment is due by 8:00 AM the first Monday of the month. If you are ordering weekly, your payment is due by 8:00 AM on Monday. A $5 late fee will be charged for late payments.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bread for Beggars
There will be a couple week break for new Bread for Beggars ChristLight resources. I hope you’ve had a chance to check them out. As you wait for the new content, feel free to check out some of the other posts on their page that deal with everything from art to music, family devotions to podcasts. Check out those resources with the link below.
Illinois Lutheran Schools App
Have you downloaded the Illinois Lutheran Schools App? This is the best way to receive the most up-to-date information from the school. It’s important that every parent downloads this app!
Check out the key features:
- Keep track of the events that are relevant to you.
- Get personalized notifications reminding you about events and schedules that are important to you.
- Sync events with your calendar with a click of a button.
- Access the Athletic & Activities calendar with one click.
- Enjoy the ease of finding all of the necessary information you need right here in the app!
- Get tailored information from your groups based on your subscriptions.
- Get the latest updates from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Download the App today! Go to the App Store and search Illinois Lutheran Schools, or click on the correct link below.