Preschool – 6th Grade
11/23/20 – 11/29/20
Jesus – He Answers
How many times a day do you say “Thank You”? I Googled this question and, of course, received the answer I was looking for. According to a 2016 New York Time article, a person says these words an average of 5 times per day. That’s not too bad – I mean, that would equal 1,825 words of thanks each year. However, the article goes on to say that up to three of those “thank you” statements may not be sincere. Oof! That takes the total down a long way and got me thinking about how many times a day do I say thank you in general and I felt a little guilty. I also wondered how many times a day do I say thank you to God for all of his blessings. I sure hope that number is not included in the New York Times data. Ouch!
My conscience was pricked by this thought and it caused me to pause, repent, and let out a huge “THANK YOU!” When I consider all God has done for me, I can’t say enough how thankful I am. When I realize he gives me so much, so freely, even without my asking or thanks, I am in awe. By just writing this short devotion, My mind has been saying thank you to God for all of his blessings and, I’m happy to say, for today I have exceeded the average of 5 “thank you’s”. But my hope for me and prayer for all of you is that you can pause every day, too, and thank God for all of his blessings.
Happy Thanksgiving from all of us here at ILS and may we all “Give thanks to the Lord for he IS good, his love endures forever!” (Psalm 118:1)
As you make your plans for Thanksgiving Break, we pray that you find time to rest and enjoy time with your family in a safe and festive atmosphere.
Please note the updated schedule for Thanksgiving break. There will be no classes on Wednesday, November 25, Thursday, November 26 and Friday, November 27. Classes resume on Monday, November 30.
Bread for Beggars
Check out this week’s resources with extra information, artwork, and even devotion ideas related to our weekly ChristLight lessons. Just click on the link to go to breadforbeggars.com for this week’s extras!
Important Technology Survey
If you have not already done so, please take this short survey to help Principal Falck assess the technology availability of our families. The survey should take about 2 minutes to complete. 33 families have already completed the survey – Thank you!
If your child has any of the symptoms listed below, all other children in the household must stay home as well. Questions? Please contact the office at 708-672-5969.
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Abdominal pain
- Congestion or runny nose
- New loss of sense of taste or smell
- Muscle or body aches
Need Christmas gift ideas? Charger Spiritwear makes great Christmas gifts! Plus new Spiritwear items have been added.
Need your order in time for Christmas?
Submit your completed order form and payment to the school office by Monday, November 30th. Orders submitted by the deadline, should arrive before Christmas break. Orders submitted after the Nov. 30 deadline are not guaranteed to arrive before Christmas break.
To purchase items, print and fill out the Booster Spirit Wear Form, or have your child pick one up from the office. Then your child can drop off the completed paperwork to the school office. Thank you for your support!
Thanksgiving Week – ILS Scrip is accepting orders this week. Please have orders and payments in Monday, November 23 at 8:00 AM. Orders will be available to picked up on Tuesday, November 24 from 1:00 – 3:05 PM. Thank you for your support!
The Scrip Holiday Gift Guide is now available for you to shop—it’s stuffed with giftspiration for everyone on your list, from the foodies to the techies. Whether you buy gift cards as presents or use them to buy gifts, your order helps raise funds for your student’s tuition.
Need a contactless way to get your gift cards, or to give gift cards to friends and family? Use the ship to home feature, available exclusively in our mobile app, RaiseRight™.
Don’t have a ShopWithScrip account? Sign up on our mobile app, RaiseRight™, or on ShopWithScrip.com to join in the earning. Ask your coordinator for the enrollment form and code to get started today. Also, pay with your linked bank account or your credit card to get eGift cards and use reloaded money immediately. Click the link below for more details.
Due to the concern of the rising Coronavirus case numbers in Illinois, Illinois Lutheran Schools has made the decision to begin our Christmas Break early this year for all grades, Preschool – 12th Grade. The last full day of school (with regular release times) before Christmas Break begins will be Friday, December 18. School will still resume on Tuesday, January 5. This will give us a full two weeks for rest and sanitation measures.
We thank God for blessing our schools and allowing us to continue to offer in-person instruction. As we all know, the situation regarding the pandemic is fluid. We appreciate all of our Illinois Lutheran families as you continue to show grace and patience throughout this school year.
In-Person & Remote Church Services
ATTENTION: Bookstore Orders
Do you need to order milk, PE uniform, Bible, Hymnal, etc? Please submit your electronic Bookstore Order and your fees will be added to your FACTS account.
Questions? Contact the elementary school office at 708-672-5969 or email Mrs. Oestmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
New Menu Items for Tuesdays
The School Eatery November menu has been changed for Tuesday, November 24th. For those that have previously placed orders for this date, you will receive an account credit from the previous restaurant order. Please make note that you will now have to place a new order for Tuesday, November 24. Any question, please call School Eatery at 800-570-6755. Thank you!
School Eatery – Hot Lunch Program
We are using School Eatery for the rest of the school year. School Eatery will work with local restaurants to offer several options every day for your child. Set up your account and place your order today!
- Click on Sign Up
- Click on PARENTS CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP
- Your school code is ILES
- Once you set up your account and place your child’s hot lunch order, you will make your payment directly to School Eatery
- If you have any questions about ordering or the payment process, please contact School Eatery directly at 800.570.6755 or email@example.com
- If you have children in the jr high/ high school building, you will need to set up a separate account and login with a different email (please click here for information for the jr high/ high school)
- Apple iOS Mobile App users can download our Hotlunch App. Your Domain for app authentication is schooleatery.
AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support Illinois Lutheran Schools every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. Help out Illinois Lutheran during this season of giving!
Golden Opportunity Books
Golden Opportunity Books are on sale for $25 at both of the school campuses. Two versions are available: Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana. These books offer great discounts for restaurants, movies and more! If paying by check, please make checks out to Illinois Lutheran.
As the COVID-19 pandemic and information from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) continues to evolve, we will update you with the most current information that we have available.
With having a couple weeks now under our belts, it really seems the students are adjusting well to some of the health and safety measures we have in place. Here are just a few things that we have noted:
- Face Coverings – It is very helpful to send an extra face covering (or two) with your child. We have extra disposable face coverings if needed, but it makes it easier for the student to wear what they are most comfortable/familiar with.
- Water Bottles – Our drinking fountains are on at ILES, they will be cleaned regularly, and we have extra sanitizer by each of them. However, it is easiest and provides the least amount of risk to have students bring refillable water bottles from home.
- Health Screenings – Please continue to be vigilant with assessing your child’s health daily before they come to school. Also consider your health and any potential exposure you may have had to the Covid virus. If you think you or someone in your family may have been exposed to the virus, or if you identify symptoms that might be associated to Covid, it is best to stay home. This might cause some inconvenience. But please understand: with the guidelines we have to follow here at school one case could lead to major consequences for our in-person learning program. It’s so good to have the students back – we want to keep them here!
- If We Call – The state guidelines we are required to follow are very clear about how we are to treat symptoms. If they occur, we are required to send students (and siblings) home. We do initially separate the student with symptoms and give them a chance to cool off or catch his/her breath – after all, running around outside could increase a temperature or cause a cough or some sneezes – but if symptoms persist, we must act appropriately. Thank you for your cooperation if we call. We will do our best to explain what we have observed and the actions you should take so your child may return to school as soon as possible! And remember, even from home your child can be “at” school by joining through Google classroom!
Illinois Lutheran Schools App
Have you downloaded the Illinois Lutheran Schools App? This is the best way to receive the most up-to-date information from the school. It’s important that every parent downloads this app!
Check out the key features:
- Keep track of the events that are relevant to you.
- Get personalized notifications reminding you about events and schedules that are important to you.
- Sync events with your calendar with a click of a button.
- Access the Athletic & Activities calendar with one click.
- Enjoy the ease of finding all of the necessary information you need right here in the app!
- Get tailored information from your groups based on your subscriptions.
- Get the latest updates from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.