Invest In Kids Act – Parent/Student Application Information
If you have any questions about the application process, please call us at 708.672.3262.
It is best to apply to BOTH of the SGOs below, for your best chance to receive a scholarship. Definitely apply to Empower Illinois, since they will likely have the most funding available for scholarships to Illinois Lutheran.
Empower Illinois Scholarship Application opens on Tuesday, February 27 at 7 PM.
Empower Illinois scholarship applications will be available on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 beginning at 7 PM. This will serve as STEP ONE of the two-step application. The application is online only.
If you have questions during the application process, please call the scholarship hotline at 855-318-1222. The hotline will be open until 9 PM today. You can also use the live chat function on their website.
What You’ll Need
All you need to begin your application is your name and contact information, your child’s date of birth, and their preferred school. You will not need to submit any documents during this step of the application process.
Click here for more information and step-by-step instructions.
Only ONE reservation and application will be accepted for each household. A household is defined as all family members living together at one address. The reservation form can fit up to 15 students. If multiple family members reserve a spot in line at the same time, the system will delete duplicates and only accept the later time stamped application. Please be sure to only submit ONE application for your household.
After you reserve your place in line, you will receive a link to the full application. It may take up to a few weeks for you to receive this link. When you receive it, you will have 3 days (72 hours) to complete the application and submit all your documents.
Click on How Do I Apply? for a helpful video tutorial about how to apply, including steps on how to reserve your place in line today for first-come, first-served scholarships.
Key Information for Parents and Students
WHO QUALIFIES FOR THE SCHOLARSHIPS AT ILLINOIS LUTHERAN?
Students whose families earn up to 300% of the federal poverty level or less ($73,800 for a family of four) qualify, with the priority given to students whose family’s total income in 2016 did not exceed 185% of the federal poverty level ($45,510 for a family of four). The federal poverty level has been established as $24,600 for a family of four. See the chart below for more details.
- From January to April, priority will be given to students who are members of a household whose previous year’s total annual income does not exceed 185% of the federal poverty level.
- After April 1, all other qualifying students will be considered for scholarships.
|2017 Federal Poverty Level (FPL) Chart|
|Household members||185% FPL||250% FPL||300% FPL|
Note: If more than eight people in your household, add $4,180 for each additional person.
For 2018-2019 scholarships, 2016 federal adjusted gross income is the basis. This amount does not include the income of children under 18 attending elementary or secondary school on a full-time basis. Foster children are deemed to have a household income that does not exceed 185% of the federal poverty level.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP?
The application process will take about 15-20 minutes. Use the checklist below to gather everything you will need before you begin.
- A copy of your family’s 2016 federal tax return.
- Proof of Illinois residency, such as:
- Current utility bill
- Current driver license
- Documentation of the student’s age, such as:
- A copy of the student’s birth certificate
- Federal or State ID
- A passport
- The student’s prior semester report card (unless beginning school for the first time).
- If available, a letter of acceptance or enrollment at an eligible, participating, non-public school.
- If your child is not currently a student at Illinois Lutheran, please contact us as soon as possible to set up your Education Success Consultation. For grades 6 and under, call 708.672.5969. For grades 7 – 12, call 708.672.3262.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- The Tax Credit Scholarship will cover up to 100% of private school tuition.
- SCHOLARSHIPS IN MOST CASES ARE GIVEN ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED BASIS, SO WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU APPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ON THE DATES THAT THE APPLICATION PROCESS STARTS IN JANUARY 2018 (SEE BELOW).
STEP 1: Families submit a complete application. You can submit an application throughEmpower Illinois, our designated SGO, as well as the Association of Christian Schools International. It is best to apply to BOTH SGOs, to increase your chance or receiving a scholarship. You can submit an application to multiple SGOs (as long as they are approved for Region 3) to increase your chance of receiving a scholarship. AS MENTIONED ABOVE, SCHOLARSHIPS IN MOST CASES ARE GIVEN ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED BASIS, SO WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU APPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ON THE DATES THAT THE APPLICATION PROCESS STARTS.
STEP 2: Families are notified of their application status.
STEP 3: Students begin school admission and enrollment process.*
STEP 4: Scholarship award notifications are sent to families beginning in February and continue until available funds are used.
STEP 5: Funds will be distributed to schools at the start of the 2018-2019 school year.
* The school admission process is separate from the scholarship process. A scholarship does not guarantee admittance.